The fourth committee meeting for the revitalization of Roxton Road Parks took place on August 9, 2011. Selected notes from the meeting follow; see PDF below for a complete summary.
Attendees: Marco Bianchi, Jill Cuthbertson, Scott Childs, Melana Janzen, Susan Antler, and Mary Battaglia, General Supervisor, Parks, Toronto & East York District
- Mary discussed framework for setting up stewardship group, meeting schedule, and city involvement
- Parks are classified by city as: 1. Destination Parks, 2. Regional Parks, 3. Local parks (eg, Fred Hamilton), 4. Parkettes
- Suggested we think about repairs and problems, but also long-term.
- Don’t hesitate to put big ideas on the list.
- 15 year schedule for capital projects of $50,000+ value Minor capital, under $50,000 get’s ranked (esp re: safety)
- Ideas: spring cleaning, composting toilets
- Some groups do fundraising for specific items, some do programming.
- Parks & Trees Foundation can be used for fundraising and issue tax receipts City has a Partnership office to help secure funding and sponsors.
- Trillium grants are very successful.
- Need approval from Partnerships office of Parks, Forestry & Rec (Rob Richardson) before you seek funding. Contact them because they may have corporations looking to support local projects.
- Memorial tree and bench program
Dave Harvey: report available online, Metcalfe Foundation or Park People.